Translate

Thursday, November 20, 2014

"O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?"

1 Corinthians 15:55-58
 55 deathwhere is thy sting? gravewhere is thy victory?
 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfastunmoveable,always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
So that about says it.  Yes, I'm "dying" off my mission, but I know that I can always abound in good works even after the mission, and stay steadfast in the things I've learned are really, truly important.  It doesn't sting as much as it would otherwise to leave so much behind if I wasn't taking so much back with me in my heart and soul.
On a different note - I met Joseph Smith this week.  Actually, he was just the 14 year old kid of a member family who had decided to name their kid that.  Pretty cool, though.  
Brother John Michael was baptized this week!  We've been teaching him the whole transfer, and he has great faith and moved to Manila with his family but he himself was not a member although they were.  He really wants to go on a mission.  It was very special for me to be able to see him baptized as the last baptism in my mission.

Yesterday, Sunday, the primary had their primary program where the kids sang and recited things for sacrament meeting.  All the little girls wore white and the boys had white shirts because their theme was "the temple."  I definitely teared up some during it because I knew it was my last Sunday here and they really are so sweet, and I remembered having been in the primary program myself so many times so many years ago.  I am truly, truly going to miss the dear Filipino people after my mission, and their kindness and openness which are qualities that are harder and harder to find in many countries today.
We also were certified by the ZL's (and we certified them as well - one of our ZL's is also going home this transfer so we both wanted to certify before leaving the mission) to be "Master Gospel Teachers" of Preach My Gospel, lessons one through five.  Feels good.  I know I"ll keep using the doctrines I've learned on my mission throughout my whole life.
A quote from Bishop:
Which one is more committed to the making of a ham and egg sandwich - the pig or the chicken?
The pig of course!  He gives his whole self while the chicken only gives a little bit.  Let us all be fully committed to doing missionary work!
He said that at the missionary devotional we had yesterday.  It was hard to say goodbye to the ward.  They had myself and the ZL who's going home bear our testimonies at the devotional. That was also hard, and I really am quite emotional about leaving these people that I love so much.
I know that being a missionary never really ends.  I also know that Heavenly Father guides us every step of the way in life, and that I don't need to worry too much as long as I'm on the straight and narrow path and doing my best to continuously move forward.  I look forward to seeing many of you soon, and I testify that Heavenly Father wants every single one of His children to be happy, and the single way to do that is through living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Much Love,
Sister Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment