Translate

Thursday, October 23, 2014

No TB, Yay!

Hello everybody!

A ton of things happened this week!  First - we went and got our tuberculosis tests and Sister Slade and I are both clear - they took an exam to check us both (required before we can leave the country.)  Then, today, we woke up early and with everyone else who's going home this transfer we got our visa stuff fixed and had our fingerprints taken.  I managed to get ink ALL over my arm and papers because I didn't realize that table was where the ink was (it just looked like a black bar painted on the table.)  Smooth. I wasn't the only missionary who did that, haha.

Random things - Sister Slade and I saw this AMAZING rainbow thing this week at sunset.  It was crazy though, it wasn't a rainbow... it was like right in this one located spot of clouds, there were about 10 different colors shining out of the clouds that looked like watercolors splashed around.  Never seen anything like it, and we don't know what it was... kind of like the northern lights, but we are DEFINITELY not in the north, haha.  Also, one day we opened our gate and saw something suddenly wriggling violently on the ground.  We jumped back and then looked a little closer.  It was a lizard tail!  For about a minute, it just wriggled and writhed like a worm on the ground even though it wasn't attached to the lizard anymore. Gross.  Probably a self defense mechanism.  

Mariz (who we found weeks ago in a very inspired way!)  got baptized this week!  We're so very excited for her, and she's excited to work with us.  We sure do love her and her energy and enthusiasm.  Definitely a person I'm lucky to have met on my mission.



So, Bishop asked me to sing a solo in church a few weeks ago.  After we sang "Nearer My God to Thee" in Tagalog at Mariz's baptism, he approached us and reminded me I had said that.  I said that it'd be a lot nicer if Sister Slade sang with me (she's a killer alto.)  So we did "Be Still My Soul"--first two verses in Tagalog, and last verse I kind of re-arranged to be like the version that's on Vocal Point's "Nearer My God to Thee" CD.  I got a video of Sis. Slade and I practicing, but it refuses to upload in the Philippines.  We got pretty fancy with it, especially for having one day to practice (partially cuz I'd worked out the arrangement for a solo several weeks before that.)  Went well, and now we have a lot of people who want to work with us from the ward.

Sister Slade and I are working on our English.  We have some pretty terrible grammar.  And some things when we try to say them in straight English are really hard; there's some words we just pretty much always use the Tagalog for.  So we're working on that.  A good example this week is when I was talking about someone who just gave birth that we know.  When I was talking about it though, I said, "Yeah, well, it would be hard when you just gave baby and..." and didn't realize that birth was the right word there until about a sentence later.  Working on it.  Talking in straight English makes me nervous these days though.

I love you all!  Have a great week.

-Sister Larsen 

We came home one day to see this parked in front of our apartment.  It's the basket wagon!  And there's hammocks and other woven things.  I'd seen one in Paranaque before, but never got a picture of it.  And there's a HUGE carabao that pulls the cart around.  Super awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment