Translate

Friday, September 6, 2013

Exodus 13:21

Sent Aug. 18
"And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night."  

If only it worked that way - a cloud or pillar of fire over people's houses when we were supposed to go and share the Gospel with them because they were ready.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way.  Plus, the people in the houses it was over would probably freak out and run away.

I realized that for about three weeks previous to this one, we were in a slump.  We were teaching the same investigators who either weren't progressing or weren't able to be baptized for various reasons even though they were progressing in other ways.  It's really hard, as a missionary, to know that people you're teaching aren't moving towards that all important goal of baptism.  So that was difficult mentally - it was because we weren't really fulfilling our purpose to bring people to that ultimate goal of baptism by someone holding the authority of God.  We can teach, we can plead, we can exhort, but only through their agency can they choose to keep commitments and prepare for baptism.

I also realized that I kept thinking in my head, "Wow... this isn't very good.  I can't fulfill my purpose to bring people closer to Christ when I can barely speak the language, and I can only say 15% of what I'd like to say and it's hard for the Spirit to speak through me when I have to focus so hard on speaking the language."  However, that's not the right attitude.  Several people who have known me since I've been here on Palawan truly complimented me on my Tagalog this week, so that made me feel better - there is progression, even though it frustrates me to no end most of the time.  I realized that I need to simply do my best to fulfill my purpose, even with my limited language skills, and that will be fulfilling my purpose - even though it may not be as efficiently as I could in English.  When we taught a lesson for the first time to some new investigators and one of them asked me why/how I had learned Tagalog so far, the wife answered (in Tagalog) " Because she wants to share the Gospel with us, and it's very important to her - she's putting in that effort for us and for God."  I almost started crying when she said that in the lesson because that gave me just a little bit more encouragement, and she was likely inspired to say that whether she knew it or not.

The last thing - there is something to be said for the faith of the children here.  There is no way when I was their age (7 to 15) that I would have had the guts and faith to go to church even though my family wasn't.  Often times, we have parents here who will refuse to take the lessons but their kids still go to church because they allow it.  They love going to church, and see that it is important at their tender ages.  The interactions I've had with children here has certainly helped me to see why Christ felt so tenderly for them.  They truly are gifts from God to everyone who is privileged to have them.  I hope my future children can exhibit as much faith as many of the wonderful kids here in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment