Translate

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It's Too Early For Zombies (or Christmas)

Dear friends and family,        written Sept. 8, 2013

Well, the unfortunate news is that I don't have much news because I was sick for a good 3 days this week with a weird flu thing that affected my stomach and head (and made me weak.)  Sitting around the apartment when you have appointments you're supposed to be at and there's nothing to do at the apartment except for study and write letters (and sleep for most of the day) is one of the worst things ever.  Don't get sick on your mission, forreals. I was a walking zombie for those days and it kinda freaked Sister Ordiz out, haha.  Also, a ton of people already have Christmas decorations up cuz we're in "the 'Bers... September, October, November..."  Yeah.  Good thing I love Christmas.

Just some random things.  The picture is of me at FHE at Nay Montilla's. [Note: the photos Marinda sent couldn't be saved for reposting.] She works with us a lot and is just awesome - she keeps a record of all the missionaries that have been through the ward since 1997 when she joined.  The guy next to me is one of our investigators; he's awesome too.  I taught them how to make "french toast" my mom's way, and they were all amazed to see how American food is made.  I also cooked it in Nay Montilla's HUGE wok, which was fun.  It turned out pretty tasty, so... success.  They liked it well enough but said it was "sweet" which I find funny because every single food here in existence is sweet, pretty much.  Also, ube, or purple yams, are one of the best things ever.  Look them up.  Mom, do we have those in the U.S.?

One day I asked Sister Francisquete (the other Filipina missionary in our apartment) if they have dandelions in the Philippines, cuz I hadn't seen any.  She thought about it, then said, "Hindi, wala." No, not any.  Then she thought about it again and said, "Wait!  Yeah, we do, I think... one time I saw those in a flower shop."  Sister Mechum looked at her and just started laughing since we're pretty positive she never saw dandelions in a flower shop for sale, haha.

The word for "almighty" in Tagalog (used in the articles of Faith) is "pinakamakapangyarihang." Yeah.

The fun story is that one day, in the back of the jungle, we were walking up to our investigator's house, but there was already someone there.  There was a WHITE man there.  I was really confused, and then he walked up and started talking to me in a thick accent, clearly also very surprised to see some random white person in the back-woods.  Turns out he's from Denmark (you could tell from his accent) and owns a shipping company over in Manila. He and his Filipina wife (who was there, and very nice) were just visiting Palawan for a bit.  After talking for a while (and asking why in the world I was here on Palawan... I explained and he said "I hope your family knows what you're doing over here" and I assured him they did)  he gave me his business card and invited me to lunch sometime with him and his wife when I get transferred over there eventually.  I didn't bother explaining that I might not be transferred to the area he lives, but I gave him a pamphlet and then after I gave it to him I remembered it was in Tagalog (all of them are) and he wouldn't understand it.  He said he's read it, but hopefully his wife can translate for him.  I think I'll send him an English one via pouch mail and have the missionaries over there deliver it to him :)  The strangest referral to those missionaries of all time, haha... "I met this man from Denmark in the middle of the jungle, and here's his address, please give him an English pamphlet and not a Tagalog one..." haha.  

Most importantly, we had a baptism this Saturday of a wonderful man who always made time for us and progressed very quickly in a matter of weeks.  Now that he is baptized, his whole family are members.  He had a sudden change of heart and was willing to accept our teachings even though when I first got here he wasn't really willing to meet with us or make time for "the word of God in his life."  We are SO happy for him and his wife and his two sons; now they can all be active together and one day go to the temple.

Even when the times get hard, this work is worth it.  Everything that we as missionaries do is worth the struggles and trials and heartbreaks.  When even one soul comes unto Christ... it's all worth it.  And even if we don't have a single baptism on our missions, if we ourselves have greater faith and greater trust in the Lord - then we brought ourselves unto Christ through our service and our one guaranteed convert should be ourselves.

Giving a talk in Zone Meeting today. Hope to be guided by the Spirit to say what our zone needs to hear to become more effective, obedient missionaries as guided by the Spirit.

Love you all,
Sister Larsen

1 comment:

  1. You can get ube in the United States, but it's not common. Bigger cities that have Filipino markets or restaurants are your best bet (for example, easier to find in San Jose than Bridgewater). I know there's a company in San Jose that makes ube ice cream.

    ReplyDelete