Translate

Friday, August 30, 2013

Sister Larsen in Wonderland

Dear friends and fam,

Sometimes, you're hiking through the middle of the jungle by the ocean and you suddenly see a white rabbit with red eyes.  No, it did not lead us to any hole, but since I'm already in wonderland I guess that wasn't necessary.  I helped Sister Jeannic catch it - bunnies are her favorite.  Still not 100% sure why there was a random white rabbit in the jungle, but he must've been someone's pet.
 

I sent some picture out of weird fruits - straight up, I have no idea what I'm eating most of the time, but I've come to trust most of the Filipino food to be delicious.  I enjoy it, certainly.  Here is a very fantastical, very alice - in -wonderland-esque.  You eat the white grapey lookin thing on the inside and then there's a seed in the middle of that.
 
 
Elder Burt of our senior couple brought this to us one day.  I can't remember the name, but it's pretty big and spikey.  The white parts around the seeds are what you eat.  Tasted kind of like a banana - not my favorite, but okay.

 
There's also a weird plant here called "makahiya" ("hiya" means "shy") and when you touch it all the leaves suddenly... disappear.  Hard to explain how that happens, but they become very very small and the plant is just the woody twigs. Super weird, but fun to mess with.  
 

This week I taught what was probably one of the favorite lessons of my life, because I taught it with a cat in my lap the whole time and I was petting it.  I was supremely happy.  There's just nothing that can quite match how awesome it is to sit with a purring feline in your lap.  

Just so everyone is aware - mail comes over here once a month, and I can only send it out about once a month since we're on the island.  Brooke, so you know, I got your pouch mail - thanks, I super appreciated it :)  People should send me letters, haha.  

Tagalog is coming... slowly, but it's coming.  I dunno.  It's hard to believe I'll be fluent in 5 months since it's still really hard to understand what's happening a lot of times, but it needs to come so I suppose it will.

I love all of you and hope that you find ways continuously to become closer to the Lord.  Watch your prayers.  Make sure that they don't become rote, or that you aren't really feeling a  connection with God.  Pour out your hearts.  I have a strong testimony that that is the only way to truly feel the guidance of Heavenly Father in your life - through true and sincere prayer accompanied by doing what He would have you do.

Love you all!
Sister Larsen
 
Additional photos:
 I'm not the Hulk, I promise.
So... I was trying to be a good citizen one morning and I was cleaning our bathroom.  As I cleaned, I slightly knocked into a faucet on the wall with my body.  The faucet was made of plastic.  Water started gushing out and at first I thought that I had just accidentally knocked the handle to the "on" position... then I looked and the FAUCET WAS HANGING OFF THE WALL.  I tried to put the faucet back in the wall - no such luck, just a face full of water.  We had to drag in buckets to catch the water for a while until they turned off the water.  So... yeah.  Pretty crazy, because the faucet was pretty much just sticky tacked into the wall.  They came down and replaced it free of charge though, so that was good.  The girls in our apartment think I'm some sort of destroyer now after the cabinet incident too though, haha.
 
 
Our area=Jungle. And goats.
We went to a more remote part of our area the other day and in one day had 10 new investigators.  This was part of that area.  GOATS! I wasn't lying about jungleyness.

My favorite tree
This is the magical "spirit tree" as I like to think of it - like on My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away the movies.  It has a bajillion little tendrils hanging off of it.  These are some of the Sisters who like to go out with us, including Sister Jeannic who goes out with us pretty much every single day :)
 

The whole thing (although it extends even further beneath the rise of the ground)
 
Yeah, near the ocean.  Our investigators live right along the edge, but we didn't visit them that day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment