Translate

Monday, July 21, 2014

Benefited In the Time of Storm

Doctrine and Covenants 123:16-17:

 16 You know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a      storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves.

 17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

You know, that's super duper true.  We as missionaries are super tiny in comparison to the great work that's rolling forth across the whole world, but each one of us in our areas has a HUGE impact.  Things were super crazy this week with the typhoon that came through.  It happened on the night before transfers, and into the morning of transfers.  The wind was really strong, and so was the rain.  A lot of damage to trees and stuff, a ton got uprooted, but we're all okay.  The electricity was all down, and the city shut down for a coupla days.  Our electricity was out for about 3 days.  At transfers, I was successfully handed off from Sister Grant to Sister Dumayas, my new companion (she's Filipina and way nice :) ) and on our way back to the new apartment I heard a ring in my bag.  I HAD TAKEN THE CELLPHONE FROM MY OLD AREA WITH ME.  Epic failure.  We had to go all the way back to the mission office, and I had to give the phone back to Sister Grant.  It all worked out okay though, hahah, just super stressful. Also, the other Sister Larsen in the mission is now in my apartment :)  The best kind of confusion.

My favorite theme this week I read in a talk, "Life is hard, not the gospel."  My mission feels super blessed right now.  Let me tell you... if anyone had asked me before what ward I really wanted to go to, I would have told them PQ 3rd ward having had some idea about it.  So here I am.  It's just as good as I thought it would be.  The members are so very nice to us, and the Church is quite established here.  I really love it a lot.  I'll probably end my mission here, which is very cool with me.  Missionary work just gets better and better the longer I"m on my mission.  

Favorite quote from sacrament meeting (In Paranaque, people speak a lot more English/Taglish.) "Angels will be at your side cuddling you wherever you may be."  I like that idea of cuddling angels :)

I'm really trying to bring back parts of myself I kind of boxed up and put away for the past... over a year.  A large part of me thought I couldn't be fun or enjoy myself really on my mission, because I hadn't figured out yet how to actively have fun in the work I was doing.  I did the work; it was rewarding, but my sense of humor and playfulness... kind of died.  Bringing it back now.  It's a process, but I'm enjoying it.  Life's more fun when I'm not feeling stiff and straight.  Obedient, yes, stiff, no.  

Much love,
Sister Larsen

At a member's house. Let me say... Dinner appointments are kind of a novel experience for me now.  When we were served steak, pie, and ice cream on Sunday... I literally almost started crying because I hadn't tasted anything like that in over a year.  I never knew food could bring so much joy, but apparently it can.  Talk about being blessed! 

[Below is some miscellaneous building with thick vegetation in front of it.]


No comments:

Post a Comment