Translate

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Yay! Vampire Cockroaches!

March 9, 2014
So, for starters, the Philippines has all kinds of unexpected things.  One morning this week I woke up with something itching on my leg.  I just figured it was yet another mosquito bite and let it go.  Then, I looked at it... and about a baseball sized portion of my leg had turned white and gotten kind of hard with a red raised spot in the middle.  Concerned, I asked Sister Gabut who lives with us about it (she's a nurse) and she said, "Oh, that's a cockroach bite."  Some of the members later told me that there's some cockroaches here that specifically like to bite people and essentially suck their blood.  Yay!  This is why I'm not allowed to donate blood for ten years after I go back to the U.S. haha.  It's fine now and went away, but I don't want to think of how many diseases I probably have now.

Sister Stucki worked with us again last week, which was super awesome.  I feel pretty honored since she's worked with me twice now on my mission, and she really adds a lot to the lessons, especially when we teach people who speak more English.  I really appreciate the leadership of Sister and President Stucki.

For those of you who know me really well, I've always had a habit of gasping really loud whenever I get really excited about something or really happy suddenly. Sister Taufa is not used to this yet, and I give her a heart attack every time.  I always laugh so hard when she jumps and I see her shocked face, haha.  I'm gonna miss her, especially since I'm transferring this Wednesday.  :(  Don't know where I"m going yet, but I'm happy for the time I've had in Paranaque 1st ward.  This truly has been the happiest part of my mission so far in part because of the great support from the ward.  I'm gonna miss a lot of the people here.  The picture is of me and Sis Taufa in the shirts I had made for us.  Pretty legit.



I've noticed something - missionaries who serve stateside, their English gets better and better throughout their missions in their letters.  Missionaries who learn a language - their ability to write eloquently decreases gradually throughout their whole mission.  I almost spelled "commandments" with a "k" this week because there's not a "c" in TAgalog.  It'll be aight, but sorry if my letters sometimes don't seem very deep.  I have about a bajillion things on my mind and when I think about our investigators it's hard for me to really come up with anything profoundly insightful every week to share.  However... rest assured, my mission is teaching me a great deal about service and perservering in a righteous cause and enduring to the end.  And enjoying to the end.  Good things come to those who press forward with hope and an eye single to the glory of God.

Love you all
Sister Larsen

"Buhok" means hair in Tagalog. this is for a hair salon. As an advertising major, this sign made me super duper happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment