Translate

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Guess Where I Am!

Dear friends and family,

If you're envisioning me as writing this from Manila city or somewhere around Manila on the main island of Luzon in the Philippines, I want you to wipe that out of your mind right now.  Because it's incorrect.

I was sent to the island of Palawan!  Yep, getting trained here and everything.  One plane flight over from Manila and here we are.  My trainer is Sister Ordiz, a very nice Filipino Sister who doesn't even clear my shoulder.  We get along well, and although there's somewhat of a language barrier we understand each other most of the time because she speaks pretty decent English. 

Palawan IS beautiful. It is also very - jungley.  It is very different from the U.S. here.  People live in bamboo huts, rarely have electricity, cook over fires, etc.    Everyone here is SO kind.  They are all fascinated with me as a foreigner, and so many people are willing and happy to listen to what we have to teach.  I love how happy they all are, and the people of Palawan are a delight to be with.

Now, my main struggle is that I understand Tagalog okay-lang (just okay) when it's Gospel related.  However, when it comes to regular conversations, I can't really do much of anything.  Which is really, surprisingly hard for me to just accept.  This has been a very humbling experience, because many of the things I take for granted being able to do I cannot do here.  Everything is different.  We hand wash our clothes, ride motocabs, and most of the time I have no idea where we are or where we're going becuase the layout super confuses me (no actual addresses here.)    For those of you familiar with Homestarrunner, I feel like "Lil Brudder" from that one Strong Bad email - the one legged dog.  Except more accurately with my Tagalog it would be like I had half a leg to stand on and was asked to run a race.  It was really really hard to accept at first, but I think I can already see the gift of tongues working.  

Being here is like being on trek every day, especially since it's the rainy season.  Mud everywhere, and lots of walking.  It is really pretty though, so I'm okay with it.  The people are happy and positive, and the members are willing to help us.  Our branch is small, but our numbers are growing as we are baptizing and reactivating people.  

I ate off of a banana leaf on a hut floor the other day at a member's house with my bare hands.  That was certainly an experience.  ALL THE SEAFOOD AND RICE.  I guess fish is okay, considering I strictly avoided it for 10 years. I am slowly adjusting to the culture, food, and other things here.

Well, that's all I've got for now.  I normally will e-mail on P-day, but due to some unavoidable circumstances I ended up emailing today.  I hope everyone remembers that Christ makes weak things become strong - like me.  I no longer have any faith in myself to do the things I need to do here, so I have to be strong in my faith in Christ and Heavenly Father and know that all things will be possible through them. 

Much love from Palawan,
Sister Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment