Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

*Almost* Famous; Spiders=Toys

Dear friends and family,

So, here I'll give a brief overview of the many adventures this week.  First, I was one morning taking out a muffin from the cupboard where all of us store our food.  Suddenly... everything came crashing down around me.  Literally.  The bottom half of the cupboard dropped out and half of the food spilled around me.  I escaped mostly unscathed except for oil spilled down my front.  That certainly woke me up that morning, hahah.  That's what the picture is of - myself and Sister Mechum who is the other American (from Utah) in our apartment.

Here, children view spiders as toys.  They put them in matchboxes and play with them and blow on them and let them crawl around on their hands.  They take huuuge ones, put them on sticks, and make them fight each other.  When they found out I was afraid of them, they thought it would be funny to try and blow them towards me; fortunately that didn't carry on too long.  I explained that in the U.S., there are some that bite you and kill you within an hour or so.  They "don't have spiders like that here," supposedly, haha.

There are two national pastimes here - karaoke of old songs from the 90's or Tagalog songs that sound like they're from the 80's, and doing laundry.  It takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours to do my laundry by hand, and I don't even have enough clothes to get me through a full week.  I've also heard many songs that remind me of when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade.  Good memories of Britney Spears, good old "classics," haha.

I realized that the bats I saw previously were NOT the biggest kind here.  One day I looked up at dusk and thought I saw a pelican up above.  Whatever it was, it was the size of a pelican very clearly.  Then I saw its wings - bat.  HUGE BAT.  They're amazing.  I feel like it wouldn't make a good pet, but I want one, haha.

One day, I was standing underneath the edge of a member's home, and we were talking to him while he was inside.  I had noted previously that these members seemed to have some sort of bird that lived on top of their house, even though I had never seen it.  As I stood there, I suddenly heard a spurting noise and then something warm trickling down my back.  I didn't say anything until after we left (we were only there for a few minutes) and then asked Sister Ordiz to take a look for me.  "It smells bad..." was her answer.  Pretty sure I got peed on by a bird this week :)  


On Friday we went to a "tree planting activity" with the branch members.  Now, in my head, we were gonna go with the 10 people there and go plant some trees just us.  Turns out, it's a huge festival in the middle of the jungle.  We hiked into the middle of the jungle, up into some of the mountains-ish with some little trees, dug in the dirt with our hands and planted trees.  That was pretty legitimate.  Then we walked back down to the main area (still in the middle of the jungle, but they had a stage set up and such) and they had the festival going on in full swing.  As I stood there watching, a group of news reporters came up and asked me in English, "Can we interview you about your thoughts on the festival?"  Naturally, I totally represent the population of people there, so it makes sense they would interview me.  Or maybe it's because I was the most pale person they'd ever seen.  Either way, I was *almost* famous, but since I'm a missionary we had to turn them down on that offer since we're not supposed to "sponsor events."  

Then they had this really really awesome cultural dance they did.  I liked that a loooot.  You know how in "Fiddler On the Roof" they have the dance where the men have bottles balanced?  They did something similar to that, the guy and girl dancers, and I was pretty impressed.  Then they did this crazy dance where they had poles on the ground that they'd clap together in a rhythm.  The dancers danced in between the poles, and if they messed up their feet would have gotten crushed.  Talk about high stakes dancing!  That probably has some symbolism relating to the crocodiles that live here.

Final fun thing - one day we were teaching about the Word of Wisdom.  I was on splits with one of the Sister Training leaders (I was scared stiff since I still don't speak the language well, but it was okay since she did even though she's American) and there were two members there teaching with us.  Then one of them asked in Tagalog, "Isn't MSG against the word of wisdom?"  I had a hard time not laughing at that one.


Yeah... that's all I've got for now.  Apparently chances are very high I'll be training right after my training.  I'm still not okay with that, but hopefully by the end of my training I will be.  I'm growing in humility and faith, that's for sure.

Love you all!

Sister Larsen
[Photos From the Airport when Marinda left.]



No comments:

Post a Comment