Translate

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Todo, we're not in Kansas anymore

Dear friends and family,

I have arrived safely!  I had a few missionary adventures in the airport, including a freshmen in college looking guy with an accent who asked me if I was LDS in the security line.  The answer was of course yes, and turns out he had just stayed a year with a Mormon family in Idaho and was flying back to Spain to be with his family.  Cool stuff.  About 3 TSA agents also asked me all about where I was going, and said they had family on missions etc.  I met up with a cool Sister named Sister Bishop in Dulles and then we flew to Detroit (that airport is AWESOME) and then got on the 19 hour flight to Tokyo.  The lady next to me was flying to the Philippines to visit her family, and the girl on my other side was going to the Philippines to help at an orphanage for 4 weeks.  I ended up helping the Filipina lady go to the bathroom because she was feeling dizzy.  I think that the elderly are given a great deal of respect over here from what I can tell, and I really like that.

When we got off our flight, however, we were supposed to exchange our money and then meet up with people who would tell us what to do.  We went to the spot we were supposed to, and waited  for about 35 minutes, but no one showed.  Worried something was wrong, there actually ended up being two Church members on the flight who walked by and we asked if we could use their cell phone to call the people who were supposed to pick us up.  We did eventually get ahold of them, and about ten minutes later the driver showed up to pick us up.  He seemed confused that we were there, almost like he wasn't expecting us or something.  We then went over with a large group of missionaries who had just shown up; all of them were from Mongolia (two sets of Sisters and maybe 3 sets of Elders.)  They were very nice, and spoke really good English although the girls were quiet and the guys more outspoken.  Mongolian is a very beautiful language to hear them speak it.

We then drove to the hotel, and by the time all was said and done it was 2 am.  We walked into our rooms and there were already 6 girls in there sharing 3 beds.  So... we ended up sleeping 3 and 3.  I HAD to take a shower once I got back, I felt super gross after those long flights and so much sweating from the heat (and stressing we wouldn't be picked up/had been forgotten.)  Currently, I'm running on about 2 or 3 hours of sleep since we woke up at 4:30 this morning to pack and eat breakfast.  There was a monkey in the main hotel yard, chained up.  We took pictures, but I don't want to send those today.  

As I went about finding ways to serve people, my nametag made me feel a little bit like a cross between a super star and a super hero.  It certainly calls attention to me, but I also have a lot of responsibilities now as I'm representing the Church.  It's amazing though, and I am SO happy to be here!  It feels great because this is just what I need to be doing, and where I should be at this time.

Driving through Manila is crazy.  It's crazy here.  SO MANY PEOPLE.  But I love it.  I knew as soon as I stepped out of the airport that I was in for a whole new experience.  I'll tell you all more about it later.

For now, 
Nagamamahal,
Sister Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment