Translate

Friday, June 21, 2013

Evil Cats and Entering the "Real World"

Dear friends and family,
 
This week has flown by.  We're finally getting to the point in the MTC where it's getting less tediously repetetive and more intense and varied.  I'll probably talk more about that later, but for now I'm going to talk about this in the order approximately I wrote stuff down again (so - it will once again make little connected sense.)
 
First off, people don't understand me when I speak to them.  You'd think I'm meaning when I speak Tagalog to people.  No, they understand that.  When I speak English to various people, including my companion from Utah, they don't understand what I'm saying soemtimes because I "use words and say things in old fashioned/very different" ways.  The other day I said, "We'll want to take our lesson at a good clip" and my Utah companion looked at me really weird and said, "Ano?"  (what?)  and I had to repeat it and she laughed.  They think I'm kind of weird here, but that's okay because I am weird, haha.  Thanks, English major Mom and Dad.  Another fun fact is that sarcasm doesn't exist here in the Philippines.  So, I haven't had too much trouble with that, but other people have, haha.  Gotta be careful joking around here, but sarcasm isn't very nice most of the time anyway so it's better to avoid as a missionary generally, I think can safely be assumed.
 
Intense Asian bug bites require intense Asian natural medicine.  The nurse here used this stuff called "Tiger Balm" on my bugbites before, so I bought some at the store and it's pretty much the most amazing stuff ever.  It says on the container it stops pain, itching, headaches, flatulence, and more.  Not making that up.  But seriously - Mom, you react as badly to mosquito bites as I do, so first check up and make sure that this magical balm isn't actually gonna kill me and if not go get some yourself from the Asian market.  I have never had something work so well on bugbites/itching in my life.  It supposedly just has a bunch of mint oils and camphor oil or something in it, but I call it my magical Asian medicine.
 
The saddest news of the week, quite possibly - the cats here are EVIL.  Or, at least, some are, and we're not allowed to get near any of them.  The ones I have seen look very diseased and kind of like zombies, which is frightening.  Then the MTC staff told us that one of the teachers was walking out to her car and two cats ran out from under her car and charged her and she got all scratched up and had to go to the hospital and have a bunch of tests done.  There's this thing called "feline fever" here which is pretty bad so unfortunately, for the next year and a half I will be avoiding all cats like the plague (because they are the plague here.)  The self restraint required for that is very, very large, but necessary.  I told my companions I wasn't too worried about it since I'm pretty sure I already have feline fever, but they neither understand my deep love of mga pusa (cats.)
 
Some funny things that happned - we were called down to have some of our district get immunizations and shots.  Elder Zou (from China) asked where we were going, and we said down to the infirmary so our companion could get some immunizations.  He looked at us and said, "So... we're going to get shot?"  Yep.  Pretty funny.  We're all way proud of him that he's learning Tagalog from English when he doesn't speak English very well as it is, but he has a great deal of faith and is very cheerful and able to look at his challenges with a smile on his face.  Good news - I've started speaking Tagalog in my sleep.  One night I woke up and I was saying "Paalam!" which is "goodbye."  That made me pretty happy if my brain is learning it and I don't even have to put in the effort at night, haha. 
 
Now for the big story - on Wednesday, we left the MTC and went into the real world.  We met up with missionaries who had already been out in the field for a while, then each of us were assigned to be temporary companions with one of them.  My companion had only been out in the field for 3 months, and was from Fiji.  We also had one of the teachers assigned to us (she's Filipino but served her mission in South Carolina - she's one of my favorite teachers here so I was very happy about that.)  So, we walked out into the street after briefly planning for the investigator we would teach.  As we walked, the streets were progressively more and more crowded.  I've never felt quite that out of place in my life, I don't think.  People were hollering things everywhere at each other, at me, staring at me, and I also felt very extremely tall along with very lost and overwhelmed.  The first 10 minutes in the city as we walked around trying to get on the right jeepney (large old army jeeps converted into public transport) felt like there were 10 thousand people around me and only 10 words said I actually knew (minus the people trying to speak English to me.)  I can't fully describe it, but it was super crazy feeling.  Once we got on a jeepney though, I was able to calm down and take some deep breaths.  Still got stared at on the jeepney.  The teacher who was with us said, "Get used to that, whiteness is considered very pretty here and there's not very many foreigners in the city."  I didn't see another palangi (white person) the entire 5 hours we were out in the city, but I'm cool with that, it just feels kind of weird to be so... watched.  I supposed I've learned now that I do not like being the center of attention, haha. 
 
The cool part is that the Sister I was with is a missionary in the Manila mission, and we were within Manila mission boundaries (although that might change when they split the mission soon and take Cavite City away from us, but I think we keep this area.)  We ended up riding and catching 3 jeepneys for about 50 minutes to get over near the airport, then we walked maybe 15 minutes through a muddy and rock filled area with a bajillion little tiny houses to get to the investigator's house.  It was VERY different from the U.S., and I will leave it at that.  I never felt unsafe, however. 
 
When we got to the investigator's house, she was just leaving for work, and scheduled another time to meet.  When we walked to where our back-up person to talk to was, the other Sister who was companions with the missionary I was with was already there with her MTC trainees.  So, we walked to another house.  There was an old man there who we ended up teaching.  The teacher and I had no idea what the missionaries had taught him before or anything because the Sister we were with didn't tell us before we went in, so that was a little confusing.  I ended up saying the opening prayer in Tagalog and asking him a few questions.  He asked the teacher how long I had been in the Philippines and when she answered "4 weeks" he was very impressed and said, "Your Tagalog is very good" although he said it in Tagalog.  However, the longer the appointment went on, the more we realized he was a very talkative man and that if we were going to get a word in edgewise it would be difficult (we were on a time crunch to get back to the chapel with the other missionaries too.)  I bore my testimony a few times, and I felt kind of upset that he cut me off a few times (I was speaking kind of slowly, but not THAT slowly - I think though that older people can do pretty much whatever they want here because there's so much respect for those who are aged, which is cool in many ways) and then the Sister we were with started teaching.  I understood the gist of about 35% of what the investigator said, so I was happy about that.  It was difficult though because every 5 minutes or so a plane would fly DIRECTLY above us (uncomfortably close) and we'd not be able to talk for about 10 seconds or more because it was so loud.  I was very glad the teacher was there with us though, because she was able to try and direct the situation back to the lesson we were trying to teach.  The walk and ride back were enjoyable, but we were quite late getting back.
 
We'll see what happens, but apparently there are about 36 missionaries in Palawan out of the 120ish missionaries in Manila.  And they DO send Sisters there.  Palawan, according to most of the Filipinos, is the most beautiful place in the world.
 
Yep, that's what I've got to say right now.  I hope everyone's having a really good week!  We're going out proselyting again on Wednesday.  I leave the MTC on July 3rd.  Time flies, but it also drags by too.  I'm learning a lot, and my perceptions of a lot of things are changing (about 99% of what I experienced in the city was totally different from anything I'd ever encountered in the U.S.)
 
Mahal kita everyone (love you!),
Sister Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment